Friday, May 1, 2009

MAY 1918 - RELAXING IN NATAL





Wednesday 1st

We all had a walk in the evening & called in at the pictures for an hour.







Town Hall and Smith Street, Durban

The message on the back of the card reads:

My Dearest Bob
They know how to build handsome buildings in Africa. It is quite a treat to see such fine streets & buildings. We are having lovely weather & quite enjoying our short stay here. I am quite charmed with the place. Love Walter xx

Thursday 2nd

Nothing much doing yet. Just getting used to Durban. Entrained at 10 PM bound for Claridge.

Friday 3rd

Arrive Claridge 10 AM. No one to meet me. Some mistake. Mrs Curry doesn’t live here now. Luckily Mr Parker was on the Station so he kindly took me in.

Saturday 4th

Very pretty country round about here & very quiet. I go & watch them play tennis.

Memo

Quite enjoyed my railway trip. Have seen the country much better & Natal beats the lot.

Sunday 5th

Had a short stroll, but most of my time is spent resting.

Monday 6th

Doing a bit of work to day. Strolled up to the farm & helped oil the car. After dinner on another job mending the pump.

Tuesday 7th

Still resting & sleeping my senses away.

Wednesday 8th

The daughter left for Durban so I helped to carry the luggage. Mine host went to Maritzburg & I’m afraid he came home oiled.

Thursday 9th

Public holiday in S Africa. Pic-nic & come out to this place. Of course I saw them in & saw them leave.

Friday 10th

Left at 10 AM for Hardingsdale. Have got to a farm this time. So it will be more interesting.

Saturday 11th

Busy finding the ins & outs of farm life. Quite interesting. Good stuff. After dinner we play bridge.

Memo

I am feeling the benefit of my stay here. Here I can get good rest.

Sunday 12th

After lunch we arranged a picnic. Went by motor car to a spot near Otters Bluff. Then I & my host proceeded to climb to the top. What a climb. At the conclusion we all partook of tea & cakes. Very acceptable.

Monday 13th

Getting lovely weather. Not too cold.

Tuesday 14th

Went into Maritzburg by car. Quite enjoyed the trip. Had a good look round the town. Quite a decent place. Finished up the day at the Rinko Pictures. Home again at midnight.








Longmarket Street, Maritzburg, Natal

The message on the back of the card reads:

My dearest Florrie,
I guess you would have liked to have been with me & had a look round this town. I think you would say it was a bonser place. Of course it does not come up to Durban. But what about coming & have a look round. More love. Walter xx

Wednesday 15th

Up late this morning. After lunch walked over to Claridge & found a letter waiting for me. Mrs P was not at home.

Thursday 16th

Still roaming about the farm. Have quite enjoyed our Bridge in the evening. Good practice for me.

Friday 17th

My last morning at Hardingsdale. Said my goodbyes about midday in the hopes of catching a train. The one I caught had to be levered along before it would start. Arrived in Durban about 7.45 PM

Saturday 18th

Rather cloudy & rainy intervals. Visited the pictures at His Majesty’s. Not at all bad. Managed to buy a diary.

Memo

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2 weeks in the country. Lovely weather & the country is magnificent. No wonder they call it the garden colony.

Sunday 19th

A lovely day so we wend our way to the beach. Make a picnic of it.

Monday 20th

Had a ride round on the trams & then visited Congella Camp. After lunch went to the Pictures. Spent the evening at home playing draughts.

Tuesday 21st

Paid a visit to the Empire & saw “Nearer My God to thee” A very good programme.

Wednesday 22nd

Some rain today. Wet evening so stayed in.








Ocean Beach, Durban

The message on the back of the card reads:

My dearest Bob
Don’t you think I am fortunate in staying a few days by the seaside. On Sundays this place presents quite an animated scene. You might be at Blackpool. It is fine down on the beach listening to the band. Hope you are keeping quite well. Much love. Yours as ever. Walter xx

Thursday 23rd

Met Swaffield to day in West St. Thought he had gone to Nairobi. Spent the afternoon on the beach. Spent an hour in the Popular Bioscope.

Friday 24th (Empire Day)

Had a ride to Uregeni. After lunch went down to the beach. What a crowd there. Met Mr Shaw again. Went & saw the Symbol of Sacrifice at Town Hall. Very good.

Saturday 25th

Spent a pleasant day strolling round the town. Treated myself to a watch. Went to the Empire Bioscope. Very good programme.

Memo

Spent a very pleasant week indeed. On the whole lovely weather.


Sunday 26th

Spent the afternoon on the beach. It was lovely there. In the evening went & heard the organ in the Town Hall.

Monday 27th

Paid a flying visit to Congella. Heard that a boat is leaving tomorrow for up country. Hope we miss it. Wandered to the beach again. Spent nearly all the evening in the Model Dairy.

Tuesday 28th

Our last free day which we spent on the beach & had a very pleasant time. I went in Surf Bathing & quite enjoyed it.

Wednesday 29th

Once more have to submit to military discipline. Reported in camp at 9 AM & then went out for the day. After lunch went to the Pop. Bio. Very good. Brought my bed to camp about 8 PM.

Thursday 30th

My word but it was cold last night, but now the sun is up it is nice & warm. Made myself busy to day cleaning my helmet. Finished the day up Clarence Rd.









Mitchell Park Zoo, Durban

The message on the back of the card reads:

Durban
My dearest Bob
What a lovely day it is. A nice breeze blowing which prevents it from becoming too hot. If you were here Dear we could have a grand time on the beach. Much love. Yours as ever. Walter

Friday 31st

Keeps very cold now. Spent the day at Clarence Rd. In the evening went to the Empire Bio. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment