Friday, May 1, 2009

MARCH 1918 - THROUGH TANGANYIKA

Thursday 14th

At last. I get up today. Thankful to leave my bed. But what a job to walk. It is like starting all over again.

Friday 15th

Not many patients left now.

Sunday 17th

Had a visit from Ward & Robinson. Quite cheery.

Monday 18th

Getting stronger every day.

Wednesday 20th

Left Songea to day en route for Zomba. Went by ambulance car. Stayed for the night at Lipumba about 60 mls away. The journey has knocked me up.

Thursday 21st

Not feeling too grand so stay in hospital for the day. Met J Baldock. He is down with fever. It is quite a pretty spot here.

Friday 22nd

I am having a good rest here but shall be glad to continue my journey now.

Saturday 23rd

On the road again. 50 miles through mountainous country. Some ride. But rained before we reached Mlamba Bay and the car skidded. Had to put the chains on.

Memo

Our last stage before reaching the lake was quite wild country. In places we drop 4 or 5000 ft in about 4 miles.

Sunday 24th

Landed in hospital again. Treated quite well. Good skoff !

Monday 25th

What they site the lake is. Like being at the sea side. It is 360 miles long and 50 wide.

Tuesday 26th

Commence another stage. My first trip across the lake. The boat rocks as if we were upon the ocean. I feel pretty rotten.

Wednesday 27th

A lovely trip. Mountains each side. Reached the Bar about 5 PM and our trip across the lake is over. What a night with the mosquitoes.

Thursday 28th

Up early anxious to leave this place. Changed cars twice, once at a river and again at Ft Johnson. Left there about noon & arrived in Zomba about 5 PM. A journey of 80 miles.

Friday 29th (Good Friday)

Went up to hospital to report & they kept us. But it is a good hospital. ½ way up a mountain & a lovely view over the country.

Saturday 30th

I wish I had been in this hospital all through my illness. Good staff & the best of attention.

Memo

My ride from the Bar to Zomba I shall not forget in a hurry. The driver simply made the car fly along. I got quite nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment